A lot of topics to cover in this update on my playing card deck, so let's get right to it......
I'm finally ready to show you my version of the Dalecarlian Horse I created for the ten of clubs card, but first a little pre-story: When I was researching the history of the horse, I found some images of how they were made in the factory and wanted to try it out. I ended up with four blanks that I decided to paint with a pattern that blended the Bicycle rider deck and the patterns found on the original Dalecarlian horse. At some point I'll put them up for sale on my Etsy site, but my priority now is on finishing the deck. Here's a sneak preview image of how they're looking so far.
For the deck, I had to do my own version of this classic Swedish equine, so I decided to have the horse painting the pattern on its own body. The card will have a cropped version of the entire horse shown here, but for the card box I'll create a real stool for him to sit upon, rather than the paint jar.
I also did some rough mockups of the card animals I've made so far, just to get an idea of how the deck is looking. I plan to have these guys professionally shot and fine tune the suits and numbers, but this is the general idea.
In five days' time, I'll have the diamond animals completed with only 14 left to create after this Kickstarter campaign ends. I'll update you in a few days with some of the completed animals, but here's a teaser of the works in progress.
Last, but not least, I have decided to take on the challenge from one of my backers to add a rainbow serpent into the imaginary menagerie for the club cards. I was swayed by the comment that this would bring all world continents into the mix, plus I didn't have a snake yet! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!!